Friday, January 28, 2005

Santa Teresa

Hola Bloggers,

Despite the persistent rain (Growl!), we visited a pretty hillside village called Santa Teresa today. It was a sleepy old place with lots of old villas and pretty cottages built into the hillside. It has the last remaining tram of Rio - but we didn't go there by tram because when we got to the station down in Rio there was a sign saying " We strike today ..and tomorrow ...and tomorrow." It was written in English on an old blackboard. Just our luck.

We took a taxi up there and then leisurely walked back down the hill peering into peoples' gardens and houses (as you do).

We ate at a highly recommend restaurant where the fish is all caught on the owner's boat in the morning and then cooked fresh that day. Jo was in raptures. I stuck to my rice, brocolli sauteed in garlic and salad of parma hearts. There was some sort of a party going on at the side of us. We guessed it was a birthday party and we guessed who was the birthday boy - the one that all the others were forcing shots down the neck of. It was quite amusing to watch them all. One boy, called "Mengie" (we think - from the shouting at him) refused to down a shot. He was so boring - after so long of evryone trying to persuade him, even we were joining in shouting "Mengie, Mengie" in that internationally used two syllable way that you always use to shout someone's name at such events. Its curious that itsn't it - you can even make a one syllable name turn into two when you are shouting for them to do something or when you are annoyed with them - try it - try shouting Paul. I bet you go Paw- awl. Do you know what I mean?

Ooh we had some lovely sushi last night. Again I stuck to tempura vegetables and skewered vegetables. Jo went for it with all sorts of raw articles. I wouldnt eat some of that stuff if my life depended on it. I developed a fondness of raw ginger though.............and whilst I'm on the subject of food - I LOVE CHURROS. I can't stop eating it.

Lots of love

S xx





No comments: