Sunday, January 16, 2005

Just chilling

Hey bloggers,

Well I've just been chilling for the last few days. Long days on the beach and lots of gorgeous food. We got a little drunk last night though. Our favourite restaurant does ice cream cocktails. They are out of this world! We were drinking vodka ones with creme de cassis and rasberry sorbet in them. It looks like a desert - a big (massive) bowl of sorbet ...........but my god there is defintely vodka in them! Its rude not to have one really - when they look so pretty! They only cost three quid as well so you can't really say no.

We wandered along to another locals' street bar thing afterwards. We much prefer these to the fancy bars where the tourists are. In these street things (they are so run down and naff looking) you always get talking to locals and have a right old laugh. Last night we were talking to a guy called Carlos who had the most formal English you've ever heard for a foreignor- I think he had been learning his English from some classic literature or something. His choice of words was enough to set us off laughing every time he opened his mouth (poor thing). We also had a guy with us who really reminded us of our friend Charlie at home. We therefore named this one Charlie. He couldn't understand us and we couldn't undertsand him but we just got along by pointing at things and being daft and having sing alongs of English songs and dancing about in the street and stuff. Carlos translated for him some of the time also.

We also met a Brasillian girl from further north who popped over to the bar to buy some take out beers and was a bit annoyed that she didn't have anyone to go out drinking with. She heard our English and said, in English, that she thought we looked like we were having fun. Then I got talking to her. I have said that we will take her out on Tuesday night. So we are meeting her at the naff street bar at ten.

I got my first mosquito bite last night. Left arm, near elbow, not too itchy as attacked it with bite cream thing Mum had packed in my medical kit. The little medical kit has come in handy so far. I was even able to Florence Nightingale it with Jose - he dried his hands on a plant (apparently an old trick that he and his friends used to do when playing out in Spain) .......but the plant turned out to be spikey! Oouch. He had lots of little spike things inside his fingers. My germoline came to the rescue. I love having a tool for every occaision! Dad - the swiss army knife you gave me is coming in handy too. The scissors don't work though - I tried to cut my hair but it wasn't having it. The marketing team working for the company who sell the universal plug that I brought are definitely con artists. Product misdescription action if you ask me. It doesn't fit the sink in our apartment and correct me if I am wrong but Rio is in the universe! We were going to soak some clothes in the sink then realised we didn't have any hot water or a plug. So that was the end of that - hence the virgin trip to the launderette the other day.

Something strange is going on with internet cafes. Every time I notice a new one - the price per hour is less than the last one. I have been pondering the mathematical chance of this and it is baffling me, the economics of it are too! Surely there would be a local market rate, and surely there would be a slight variation around that average price, and surely if i keep walking around totally different streets then you would see prices in all sorts of jumbled up order moving around the average rate. But no, we started at ten reis per hour and then I have seen 8 reis, then 6 reis and now 4 reis. Whats going on? Sorry I am waffling now - the things I think about are curious sometimes - even to me!

Keep on keeping on dudes

S xx

No comments: