Monday, March 28, 2005

Gucci darling!

Hola bloggers,

Well I am in Europe but I am not in Barcelona!

I went to the airport in Buenos Aires without a reservation but armed with the knowledge that there would be two Iberia flights leaving for Madrid and also an Aerolineas Argentina flight and of course armed with the old credit card. I already knew that there weren't any flights to Barcelona direct from Buenos Aires. I tried to get on all three flights to Madrid (not all at the same time as that would obviously be impossible .......and not physically - I have not lost it that much - I just tried to purchase a ticket for said flights in a very polite and calm manner). However, all flights were full. ARGHHHHHHHHHHH.

I told them that I knew about the row of seats that they always save back for air stewards and begged for one of those ...............................but they told me all those had gone too. I calmy asked for a seat on the next flight to Madrid in the morning but was informed that there aren't flights every day to Madrid. For example the next iberia one would be next sunday! Hmmm. There was a moment when one of those things that you count time with when you play piano started to swing around in my head - it was swinging between a decision between tears and rage. However, it only lasted about three seconds before good old Initiative (the superhero) swooped in on the situation and blurted out to the ticket office attendant " give me any ticket to anywhere in Europe that is leaving tonight!". The ticket man looked a little startled - "I thought you wanted to go to Spain" said he. "Yes I do want to go to Spain but you can't get me there can you so I want to go to Europe - anywhere in Europe - and I will work out how to get to Spain from wherever you send me." Aha - now the man understood! Thanks Initiative.

So, I am in Rome!

I was hoping to get a connection to Barcelona as soon as I landed in Rome but was again faced with the no room at the inn routine (Its Easter isn't it not Christmas).

I am booked on to a flight tomorrow evening at 6.50 pm which should get me to BCN at about 9pm. As I landed in Rome at 5pm today - I have approximately 24 hours. Shame I've been here before because I am now wishing that I was stranded in a new place that I could explore for a day. Not to worry. I am currently residing in the Hilton at the airport where thanks to all the points accumulated at the Leicester Hilton (thanks Alliance & Leicester) I am being treated very well and have been upgraded to a suite which has a library in it of all things - as well as the lounge, bedroom, bathroom and dressing room. The pool has been christened, I have steamed myself in the turkish bath, dined in the restaurant and I am all geared up to buy some Gucci sunglasses tomorrow in Rome. Quite good this being stranded lark!

Spirits wise - I am reasonably calm about my dash across the world. My biggest worry at the moment is that I need more clothes bringing over from England. Hmmm - Dad?

S xxx

1 comment:

Jo Harper said...

Hi Babe,
RU in BCN yet? I have been emailing you but no reply!
I have also called and text you - I know u r prob v busy with Jose - but I need to speak to my bestist...
Love ya loads,
Jo
PS Rio's hair is rank - that is all I was rabbiting on about watching the game.