Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Final Destination?

Hola Bloggers,

Well I´m here. I made it.

Rome wasn´t built in a day - thats for sure! Peeped at the Colleseum and Trevi Fountain for a few minutes (been to Rome before so just wanted to see my favourites before hiting the shops). Didn´t get any Gucci sunglasses - opted for Prada instead. Bought a few warmer clothes and then hit the runway once again for Spain.

Jose met me at the airport - both of us obviously a little overwhelmed by the whole concept of me being here!

My first few days were a little strange, but I knew that would be the case so I just got on with it.
I´ve settled in quite nicely since though. I am playing house and doing all the stuff that housewives do every day including cooking proper meals every night (aided by the supply of fresh veggies from Jose´s family´s farm). I´ve joined the gym and I intend to go every day - but it doesn´t always happen. Far too busy some days - wandering around looking for things like potato mashers and various other housewife armoury that I develop a need for.

The first weekend was spent in Tarragona, which is the old Roman town where Jose comes from and where his family all live. Its about an hour south of BCN. It was his youngest brother´s birthday (27) so there was a family meal at his parent´s house. This meant that I had to meet the parents, two brothers, girlfriends, uncle, cousins and grandma all in one day. Very enjoyable though and I managed to understand most of what was said to me and get through without any major accidents. The most amusing part of the day was when middle brother told his Mum to say what he had taught her in English. It started with "F" and ended with "Off"! His poor Mum didn´t know what she had said but once everyone was given a spanish translation - it became the joke of the day and his mother continued to use her new phrase on a frequent basis.

Sunday´s higlight was a walk on the beach. The weather is still quite cold but it was lovely to walk on the empty 15 km long beach. Just what the doctor ordered.

My Dad visited me last week for two days and brought me the previously requested supply of clothes. It was good to see a family face after 3 and a half months and we spent two days walking around the city and catching up. We also went up to the Barca ground and watched the players train and did the tour of the ground. I can now say that I have been in the visiting team´s changing room and then run on to the ground from the dug out!

Jose can speak more English than I realised - he had to manage to speak to my Dad over dinner in English. We stuck to subjects he would understand - like football and his work - and we tried not to speak with yorkshire accents!

This weekend was spent in Tarragona once again - this time because we had a wedding to go to. This was a good oppportunity to meet lots of Jose´s friends. It was very funny to see the Spaniards doing the YMCA!

After the wedding we drove to Jose´s family´s farm. Its where his grandparents used to live but now, although the farm is still in action, the farm house is just kept as a holiday retreat for the family and the work is done by people they employ.

I didn´t know where I was when I woke up because we had arrived in darkness. So it was lovely to wake up and take a tour of the farm. The main thing that is produced is Palm Trees! There are fields and fields of them - as far as you can see. They grow them for about ten years and then sell them. There are veggies everywhere but they are just to supply all the extended family and not for sale..................but the poor bulls that I made friends with are unfortunately for sale (and we all know what for). They were lovely. Apparently there are lots of different types of bulls and the ones one the farm are not the fierce species used in the bull ring. They are very timid ones. They came over to the fence and stared and me and let me stroke them if I bobed down and made myself small.

It was a great day on the farm. All 3 brothers together with their girlfriends and grandma watching over. We hand picked veggies and roasted everything on a very rustic bbq (a fire in the drive!). Jose proved to be multitalented and earned himself the name of Farmer Giles. His years spent on the farm as a child were evident - surprising for a city architect to have such earthy skills!

Hope you are all well

Lots of love

S xx

No comments: