Sunday, February 13, 2005

Argentina

Holaa Bloggers,

I am now in Buenos Aires. It wasn´t exactly a smooth run to get here. The flight was fine but then there was no man waitng for me with a board with my name on - as I had ben told that there would be. I sorted myself out in a taxi and set off to the apartment where it has been arranged through the language school that i will stay at. When i got to the girl´s house she was a bit surprised to see me and said that she thought that I was arriving the next day. They had told her I was flying on Saturday night but she thought I was coming from England and so thought I´d be here on Sunday. This meant that she didn´t have the bed ready for me and it was about 11.30 at night.

Iwent into her flat and from the look of things i am getting her bedroom with a double bed and then she is sleeping on the sofa bed in the lounge. Luckily her sister has an apartment in the same block and had left it empty because it was being done up and painted. So I was taken down to that one to sleep there for a night until Maria had time to get the bedding changed and prepare the room for me in her flat.

The flat I am going to be in is not very big so we are going to be a bit ontop of each other. One thing I am not overly impressed with is the enourmaous Rockweiler dog called cleopatra which is also going to be a flt mate of mine. Maria was surprised that the school had not told me this because she asks them to check with people. Maria insists that nnnnthe dog is friendly but my god it looks strong. If it jumps on you you´d be straight over. It was shut in the kitchen when I was there. Lets hope it likes it in there.

I think the comment the school made about Maria cooking veggie meals was a lie because she said that she knew that i was a veggie but then asked loads of questions - clearly not having encountered such an alien before. She didn´t really understand what I could eat if I didn´t eat meat or fish. She said we could talk about it tomrrow.

Its not red hot here or anything. When I looked on the forecast on the net yesterdy it said 80 degres here today - but its not. Its probablyabout 72, but its cloudy. I am begining to think there´s a conspiracy against me getting one of my famous tans. The weather seems to go worse everywhere as soon as I arrive.

It was quite weird saying goodbye to Jo at the airport. Not because I was scared to come here alone but because we really honestly don´t know when or where we will see each other again now. She won´t be in Englandwhen I get back and for various visa related reasons she may not be able to leavae nd reenter the USA once she has gone there again in April.

I have noticed that they only give one kiss here - rather than the continental two. Not sure if there is a rule about which side yet - further observation required.

Hast luego

S xx

No comments: