Thursday, July 26, 2007

she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes




Last weekend my cousin Angie got married........on top of a bloody mountain! I'm not sure if the non conventional and highly personal service was because its her second time round or merely because she's non conventional. Anyway, whatever the driving force behind the idea, it was brilliant. A complete success. It has been raining and flooding like no one's business all summer in England but someone was watching over her that day (perhaps my Uncle John, her late Dad) and the sun shone perfectly and we all had a jolly old time.
The "hymns" were hilarious. We firstly sang, led by a scout leader friend, "she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes". Then later in the "service" we all got very into singing "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands". That was just hysterical - 80 poeple on the top of a mountain in wedding outfits clapping hands, stamping feet, turning around and shouting "we are" ......as the verses go ( as I know now). We were all laughing our heads off - it was such fun.
Later, after some hilarious speeches by my dad (who gave her away in the absence of my late Uncle), the crackers groom and his bestman, a whole pig was spit roasted and the country dancing started! So, a proper country wedding. I am only sorry that my spanish husband wasn't able to witness this british crazyness - he got stuck in an important meeting and couldn't make it. He'd have been lost on the "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands" but he would have given us a laugh!
S xx


1 comment:

© Paul Anthony Ramsden 2023 said...

what a selection of songs in such a unique location, it must have been a day no there will ever forget.

Thanks
I'm still laughing.

Paul