Friday, July 13, 2007

Marrakesh


Hello! I have always wanted to go to Marrakesh but have never seemed to have managed it - for some reason. So, we took ourselves off there as a last taste of luxury before the baby comes. The baby is not going to stop us travelling but I'm sure she will influence our choice of hotel, so, I enjoyed going for something grown up and stylish for one last time. The hotel was truly amazing. Its called caravan serai - look it up if you fancy an exotic getaway thats actually not too far away.
The suite was enormous and very traditional and had a really big private terrace ......where I shall own up to a little nude sunbathing!

As for Marrakesh itself, other than the bazar, it was somewhat if a let down actually. It doesn't really have any striking architecture or charm. The main square that everyone raves about is nothing to write home about - so I won't!

I love the food but was rather disappointed to find that set menus were the only thing offered. Therefor not really allowing you to pick and choose some of the not so obvious dishes. All they seemed to be pushing was couscous and tagines ......which you can get on your local high street (if you live in London anyway).

Another let down was the fact that the poeple are absolutelyt money obsessed! They really were using every opportunity to blatantly rip you off......which kind of turned you against them. I have travelled to far poorer and less developed places but never experienced a money grabbing cheek quite like that of the Marrocans. Sorry if anyone Marrocan is reading this but it is an honest criticism based wholly on experience.

We did meet one lovely Marrocan boy who had a French girlfriend in Valencia and so got me on the phone to her and begged me to be her friend! I must ring her now that we are back actually. It may come to nothing but then again we may strike up a friendship - stranger things have happened.
I seemed to grow (pregnancy tummy wise) masses whilst I was out there. I'm going to do a separate blog with some tummy pictures after this one. I was happy to get myself nice and brown though - being enormous is all the more acceptable when you are brown for some reason.

S xx

No comments: