Monday, December 18, 2006

"Oranges and Lemons" say the bells of Saint Clements









Hola,
As you can probably see, we spen thte weekend at the family farm. It was just the two of us and we had a really lovely relaxing time. Jose was actually ill - suffereing from bad cold / slight flu type symptoms ....but he still managed to have a good time. You'll see that he is not very smiley in the photo. I think he was having a poorly moment and I forced himto get off his bike and lean against teh hay in a farmer type manner. Poor lamb.
Its the season for oranges and lemons so our favoured bike ride route was sweet smelling and slightly more colourful than usual. We actually invented a new sport - bicycle polo - which involves trying to kick a stray orange whilst cycling past. Good fun but a bit messy as they often splat all over your trainers.
The first picture is not our farm house. We don't rough it that much! I'm sure I have posted pictures of the farm house before - its slightly more luxurious than the house in this blog! No, the house in this blog is one that we pass on our bike ride and I love looking at it and imagining what has gone on in there over the years. I thought I'd take the picture in sepia to add to the mysterious vibe that it has.
The second picture shows the rice fields. The Tortosa area is an important rice growing area but its not the season at the moment so what you see are empty rice fields. Its interesting to see all the water though. There simple yet efective irrigation system running all over the area. The area is a couple of miles from the largest Delta in Europe so the water is not a problem - hence the rice growing and hence Jose's family having the farm out there even though they don't actually come from there.
When we got back from the farm we booked tickets to go to San Francisco for New Year. You will remember that Juanita Banana is living out there - so being desperate to see her I ahve managed to pursuade Jose to come over there for a week for a spot of sight seeing and skiing in Lake Tahoe. I didn't have to try too hard to pursuade him, as you can imagine. He has never been to North America and has always wanted to ski there since he was a little boy. So he is just as excited as I am. I've been to San Fran twice, and North America millions of times ....but I'm literally jumping up and down with excitement to see Juanita. She doesn't actually know we have tickets yet - due to the time difference I am having to wait a few hours before I can call her. I'm sure that will cheer up her Monday.
So, photos of Goldne Gate to follow in a couple of weeks!
Happy Christmas everyone.
S xx

No comments: